Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Thing 23: Create a Resource Guide

I have wanted to try lib guides ever since I saw a demonstration of them last year.
This time I was determined to actually sit down and create one that I would used regularly.
I started looking at the different resources for websites on topics that I was planning to teach and several of them were very useful to help me plan some future lessons. One of them was PBS learning. I really liked their structure and the ability to search with parameters. Another one that I have used in the past is Read Write Think. I tried a couple others Great Lesson Ideas, Best Websites for Teaching and Share My Lesson. I had better luck with some then others. My biggest problem is that I go off on tangents and get carried away with ideas.


Back to Create a Resource Guide.
After saving many of the websites for future use, I decided to create a lib guide for my Reading Group (adult) Each month, In the past, I would send an email with the information for the next meeting and resources about the book.


I decided to set up the lib guide for this month (and hopefully on a continuing basis) and send them the link. This is it if you would like to view it: http://libguides.rcsdk12.org/bookgroup 


This is an easy way for me to update information each month and I have also included a list of the books we have read in the past. This is helpful because we often mention past readings.


I am really happy with it and I think they will be too.


Now that I have worked with it for this guide, it will be easier to create another one for school resources. I just realized that I could set up the next lib guide with the lesson resources I mentioned above and more!



1 comment: