Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thing 19 - Social Reading and Book Stuff


I looked at the first part of this topic and I revisited GoodReads and Library Thing. I had signed up for Library thing a long time ago but had not done too much with it and I joined GoodReads when it was mentioned on the Cool Tools blog at some point. I joined the Cool Tools group but I didn't do much with that part before. I also have a Adult Book Club and I have used Good Reads to look at book reviews on certain books. This time I took a little more time with the site and added the Children's book group to my groups. I was interested to see several sub topics and lists of picture books, teen books etc. and discussions about them.


The part of this topic that intrigued me the most and I knew the least about was "Social Reading."
At first, I read some of the articles and I thought it was you tube or twitter discussions about a particular book but the article by Jennifer Howard was fascinating. They actually took the work "Utopia" and as I understand it through a project called Open Utopia they edited and commented on the work which then became part of the work itself. I am still trying to get my head around it.


On an elementary school level - social reading could be among students creating a work, commenting on a work or video chatting about a work that have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment